What do I need to do to purchase a car in another state?

I live in Pennsylvania but will be purchasing a car from a family member in North Carolina. I've never bought a car before and am not sure how transferring the title works. Do I need to register the title in North Carolina? Or can I drive the car back to Pennsylvania first and register it in PA? and if so, how do I get temporary tags? Any advice is appreciated!



Bill of sale.

Transfer of title.

Your relative will release the vehicle in NC.

You will register your vehicle in PA.

Fairly simple process.

Once you have a bill of sale + titled signed over to you, then contact your PA registrar for any other assistance you might require.

Answered 3 years ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2024 LLC. All rights reserved.