I am a citizen in both the EU and the US. I am planning to open an LLC in a tax-favorable state (i.e. DE or WY). I currently live in the US, but plan to move out to the EU (i.e. establish residency) and then travel the world for a year while creating social media content (which will be my source of income). I will not physically spend time in the US during the following tax year. Does an LLC make sense in this case? Will my original state in the US require me to file state taxes? Does it matter if I declare residency outside of the US? What are some good ways to avoid taxes in this type of situation?

Yes, forming an LLC in a tax-favourable state (e.g. Delaware or Wyoming) with residency outside of the US in the upcoming tax year may be beneficial, as it can help protect personal assets and provide tax savings.

Yes, you may have to file state taxes in your original US state but this may vary depending on the specific laws of the state. You should speak with an accountant for more details.

Yes, as a dual EU/US citizen living abroad, you must report your income to both the IRS and any applicable foreign jurisdictions. Depending on where you declare your residence, you may be subject to different taxation rates and could be liable for double taxation. It is important that you consult with a professional tax advisor to ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.

It's recommended to contact a tax advisor familiar with international taxation rules and regulations to determine the best strategies for reducing or eliminating taxes in this situation. Additionally, researching international agreements between the US and the country of residence may provide useful tax benefits applicable to dual citizens.

Answered 2 months ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2023 LLC. All rights reserved.