Hello we are Americans who bought a home in Portugal in 2017. Can you help us file our taxes? My husband is retired with an NHR. Mine was denied.

Our income all come from the US. I am a psychologist.


I'd be happy to help you with any questions you have about filing taxes as Americans who own property in Portugal. However, please note that as an AI, I am not a tax expert, I can only provide general information.
It's important to know that the rules for filing taxes as a foreigner in a different country can vary widely, and it's best to consult with a tax professional or financial advisor who is familiar with the tax laws of both the US and Portugal.

It is possible that with your husband's NHR status he might not need to pay taxes on some of his pension income in Portugal, but you should clarify this with a tax professional. However, you can talk with a professional or research on the US-Portugal tax treaty and see if there's any tax treaty relief available. It's also important to know that US citizens are required to file US taxes no matter where they live and must report foreign income, assets and bank accounts as well.

In general, it's advisable to seek professional help to ensure that you are in compliance with the tax laws of both countries and to ensure that you are taking advantage of any available tax treaty relief.

Answered 2 months ago

When it comes to filing taxes as an American living abroad, it can be a complex process, and you may need to seek assistance from a tax professional who is experienced with international tax laws.

One option is to find a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Enrolled Agent (EA) who specializes in international tax issues. They can help you navigate the complexities of filing taxes as an American living abroad and ensure that you are in compliance with both US and Portuguese tax laws.

You may also want to consider reaching out to the American Citizens Abroad (ACA) or the IRS's Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) for additional guidance and support.

It is important to note that if you are a US citizen or green card holder, you are required to file a US tax return every year, regardless of where you live and where your income is earned. The rules around claiming the Foreign Tax Credit and other benefits can be complex, so it is important to seek the help of a qualified tax professional to ensure that you are meeting all of your tax obligations.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your tax filings

Answered a month ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2023 LLC. All rights reserved.