Can Canadian consultants work as independent contractors in the states without a work permit?

I am travelling to San Francisco to find clients.


I'm not an immigration attorney, but I have made trips to Canada to find clients, and this is my understanding of the laws.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you do not need a visa to come to the United States as long as you will not actually be working and receiving payment from U.S. businesses or employers while in the U.S. For example, you can visit the U.S. to attend trade shows, meetings, conferences, etc. without a visa.

Here's a publication from the U.S. State Department that may help:

Answered 9 years ago

This is not legal advise, and I don't play a lawyer on TV but I would say as a contractor all work worldwide is open. Your not moving to the US your just taking business from their. There maybe a question of where you pay tax at some point so set up a Hong Kong Corporation that is near impossible to sue if your going to be dealing with goods internationally. And why restrict yourself to the USA only, hoped this helped call if you want to discuss it further, thanks...Ken Queen

Answered 9 years ago

You can do it. But I'd recommend talking to an attorney about the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA VISA) - It could save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Answered 9 years ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2024 LLC. All rights reserved.