I work in tech in business development so I'm not sure my skill set would be something that a U.S employer couldn't already get from a employing a local. I'm not interested in marrying a girl I've just met. Is it better to start a company (which may take years to take off) or is it a case of getting an international transfer through an L1 visa after working for a big company for a year?


I am a US immigration attorney focused on corporate immigration. The fastest way to get into the US (and stay here long term) as a UK national is to open your own business in the US. You would need to create your own business and sink your own money into creating the business. If you do so, you will be eligible to come to the US and run your business. You will be able to stay in the US for two year periods but the visa is renewable indefinitely. I

If you come to the US on an L-1 or other employment based visa you will be able to work on setting up another company but you will not be able to actually be employed by the company you have created.

If you are only interested in finding employment here, working for a company that could transfer to the US would work. Employers also can apply for an H-1 visa on April 1st for employment commencing on October 1st.

If you would like to talk about the process for starting your own business in the US, I would be happy to talk with you.

Matt M

Answered 7 years ago

Unlock Startups Unlimited

Access 20,000+ Startup Experts, 650+ masterclass videos, 1,000+ in-depth guides, and all the software tools you need to launch and grow quickly.

Already a member? Sign in

Copyright © 2021 LLC. All rights reserved.