I have been managing CRM and Customer Acquisition campaigns for global brands such as adidas or Vistaprint so I am quite familiar with this topic.
In order to increase your open rates you can use several tactics:
- Continuously test your Subject Lines. You need always to keep testing since there is no secret recipe on creating the magic subject line
- Have a consistent brand domain/sender domain
- Prepare beforehand an email marketing plan with sending out dates/times, topics... it is crucial to have a valid strategy in place
- Study your consumer behavior and journey: open rate may be affected by that. For instance a consumer may be not willing to open a commercial email if he/she is still considering/evaluating your product
- Study the best time of day / day of the week where to connect with your consumers via email
Regarding getting a better in box placement, here you have few considerations:
- If you email in about a promotion, it makes sense that it should be within the Promotion tab. So review what is the promotional strategy of your competitors before planning yours
- Avoid using any concepts (text, content, domain, images) that may sound repetitive/spammy
- Plan a different inbox placement strategy for sender. Gmail should be your main focus but do not forget other providers (Hotmail. etc..)
- A review of your html email template needs to be done periodically to be always up to speed with new email providers functionalities. This will allow you to reach easily a better inbox placement.
I am happy to discuss all these points further and to give you useful tips on how to improve your CRM strategy and how to connect it with the rest of your digital strategy.