Anyone know where I can find a co founder with different skills than mine? I would like like to find someone with experience in fundraising and growing a startup. I'm looking for skilled people to bring on board in order for me and the company to grow.
Before giving you the practical tips, it is important to first point out that you should be 100% sure that you really do need a co-founder, and that a freelancer or employee is not sufficient. There is a reason that CBInsights found that the third most common reason cited for startup failure is “not the right team” and that the most common agreement that I draft as a startup lawyer/mentor is a ‘separation agreement’ between founders (or should I say ex-founders). In most cases, freelancers/employees can do what you need (perhaps the only exception is having a CTO when trying to raise capital from VC’s – and even this depends on the type of startup).
1. Go to networking events - some of which are dedicated to “co-founders dating/matching” - try Meetup.com for this.
You can also try www.founderdating.com and www.cofounderslab.com
2. Take part in chats in relevant forums (depending on the type of co-founder you’re looking for).
3. Consider joining accelerator/incubator programs for startups/entrepreneurs - some of them connect between founders.
4. Contact head of programs at universities and tell them what you’re looking for. Today, many universities and cities have startup programs with a lot of talented participants (or speakers) who might be the perfect co-founder for you.
5. Talk to friends and family and let them know that you’re looking. This helps expand your network. Post a message on www.LinkedIn.com .
I've successfully helped over 300 entrepreneurs. I'd be happy to help you. Good luck